Beet & Berry Smoothie
What if we told you there is a smoothie you could blend up to help combat hypertension? There just may be! This smoothie is loaded with nitrate-rich fruits and vegetables that are also high in magnesium and potassium.
Check out our tip sheet to learn more about why these are important for hypertension management.
- 1 cup plant milk of choice or water
- 1-2 handfuls of either kale OR spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup of frozen beets OR 1 small beet, washed, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. You can add extra liquid to thin or ice to thin.
Tip: Make your life even easier by placing ingredients (minus the liquid) in small freezer-friendly bags or mason jars. When you need a smoothie in a pinch, add your ingredients to the blender with 1 cup of liquid and blend!