This recipe is perfect for adding to sauces, dressings, sandwiches, and more! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week. After that, pour into ice cube molds, freeze, and store up to 3 weeks.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil, arugula OR Kale (large stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts or walnuts (if nut-free, try sunflower seeds!)
- 3 large cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 Tbsp water (plus more as needed)
- Use a food processoror small blender, add the basil, nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil or vegetable broth a little at a time. Then add 1 Tbsp of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached - a thick but pourable sauce. (If avoiding oil altogether, sub the oil with vegetable broth or just use all water.)
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed.