Portobello Mushroom “Burgers” with Roasted Red Peppers
FOR SERVING (all are optional; choose to your liking):
- Whole-grain rolls or buns
- Sliced red onions
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced avocado
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned with underside stems and gills removed
- ½ cup roasted red peppers
- 4 Tbsp plant-based cheese or homemade cashew parm (Blend the following ingredients until a fine meal is achieved: 3/4 cup raw cashews, 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast, 3/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder).
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Brush the mushrooms lightly with olive oil and fill the mushroom about halfway with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic, and pepper. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove marinade and place mushrooms on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes and then flip and roast for 5 more minutes. Top with roasted red peppers and fresh plant-based cheese and cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve on toasted whole-grain roll (optional) with toppings of choice!
**You can also grill these for 5 minutes per side. Then, top with roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella and cook until melted, about 2 minutes.