Quick Guide & Master Recipe for Cooking Grains
The recipe below yields 3-4 cups of cooked grains. We recommend a portion size of the ¼-½ cup for each bowl. The remaining grains can be portioned out and frozen for later use. If you prefer to make a smaller batch, reduce the water, salt and grains by half. Cooking times will remain the same. To reheat grains, microwave in a covered bowl until hot throughout, fluffing with a fork halfway through. Season grains with salt and pepper.
- Buckwheat - 10-12 min. Yields 4 cups
- Bulgur (medium and coarse-grind grains) - 5 minutes. Yields 4 cups
- Black Rice - 20-25 minutes. Yields 4 cups
- Pearl Barley - 20-40 minutes. Yields 4 cups
- Farro - 15-20 minutes. Yields 4 cups
- Freekeh - 30-45 minutes. Yields 4 cups
- Brown Rice - 25-30 minutes. Yields 4 cups
- Oat Berries - 30-40 minutes. Yields 3 cups
- Wheat Berries - 60-70 minutes. Yields 3 cups
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add 1½ cups grain, 1 teaspoon water, and cook for the following times.
- Drain and spread on a baking sheet to cool.