Yield 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks (we will process together)
- 2 medium summer squash, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and thinly sliced or one red pepper, roasted and thinly sliced.
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups short grain brown rice
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 canned artichoke hearts, drained and halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese or cashew cheese
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 mins.
- Add squash, bell peppers, and garlic; cook, stirring often for 2 mins.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, paprika, turmeric and salt; cook, stirring often for 1 min. Stir in broth and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered, without stirring, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 mins, adding up to ½ cup of stock is needed. (Move skillet around occasionally to ensure even cooking).
- Top with artichoke halves. Remove skillet from heat, over and let mixture steam for 10 mins.
- Gently fluff with a fork and top with parsley and parmesan cheese or cashew cheese. Serve with lemon wedges.