Savory Spaghetti Squash
Yield 4 servings
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 1.5 lbs)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 (28 oz.) can of low sodium, pureed plum tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- fresh basil to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lay squash halves flesh-side down. Bake for 35 mins. or until you can easily pierce flesh with fork.
- While squash bakes, in a deep 12-inch skillet sauté garlic and shallots in oil over medium heat until soft, about 5 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients, ½ cup water and cook, lower heat to a simmer and stir occasionally for about 30 mins. Add additional water for desired consistency. Season to taste.
- Remove squash from oven and scrape crosswise with a fork to pull strands from shell.
- Pour sauce over squash, top with quinoa and black bean “meatballs”, vegan parmesan cheese if desired and garnish with fresh basil.