Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 2 cups cooked Quinoa
- 3 cups sliced Mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped Swiss chard or kale
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts work well
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tb Sage
- 1 Tb tamari or liquid aminos
- Lemon zest
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- Tahini sauce and pomegranate seeds to top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Set out a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Half the squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds
- Brush the squash with all of oil and sprinkle with salt and any other seasoning you would like, could use cinnamon or allspice.
- Bake this squash, cut-side down, on the lined baking sheet for 40 minutes, or until a knife easily pierces the squash.
- In the meantime, cook quinoa as directed and put aside.
- In a hot skillet, add all of oil, and sautéed onion and garlic close. Add mushrooms and sauté for several minutes. Add Swiss chard and kale and continue to soften. Add cooked quinoa and mix altogether. Add tamari and sage. Add zest from 1 full lemon as well as salt and pepper to taste. Mix in chopped parsley.
- Once squash is cooked, place a large scoop of the quinoa mixture in the center of each squash.
- Return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While squash is being heated, prepare tahini sauce. When ready to serve, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, then drizzled with tahini sauce and top with pomegranate seeds for an extra special finish!
These can be prepared a day in advance and repeated the day you are serving.