Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced, depending upon taste
- 1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
- 2 cup frozen corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1 ½ pound portobello mushrooms (about 5 large), stemmed, wiped clean and cubed
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 cup canned black beans beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock, or water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork then place on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast potatoes in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until you can poke a fork or knife into the middle of the potato.While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the chili.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and stir well.
- Add beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, split them open. Place about 1/3-1/2 cup of chili in each potato.
- Top with cilantro and enjoy!
Recipe by Synergy Private Health at https://synergyprivatehealth.com/recipes/vegetarian-chili-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/