Wild Red Quinoa Salad
Yield 8 cups
- 2 cups red quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tb minced garlic
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium lemon, finely grated to yield 1 tsp zest and squeezed to yield 2 Tb juice
- 2 Tb extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- 1 avocado - chopped
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain.
- In a large skillet over med heat, toast quinoa until dry and aromatic, about 5-8 mins. Wipe skillet and set aside.
- In a 3-quart pot, bring the stock to a boil, add the toasted quinoa and simmer, covered, over low heat until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. It should have a bite to it.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden and browned on the edges, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon zest, juice, olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add the quinoa, onion mixture, and tomatoes and toss to distribute evenly. Just before serving stir in the basil, spinach and avocado. Serve at room temperature.