Wild Rice and Beet Salad
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 small beets
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup raw hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Atlantic sea salt
- Roast beets: Place beets on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast at 400°F until soft. When beets are cool to the touch, remove peel and cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Prepare rice: Rinse wild rice in cold water until water runs clear; drain, then transfer to a small pot. Add enough boiling water to cover rice with 1/2 inch of water, and cover pot. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine beets, cilantro, mint, hazelnuts, lemon juice, and oil. Mix in rice, then let sit for about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Substitute hazelnuts with walnuts or any other nuts that are available.
- Substitute wild rice with whole rice or any other rice that is available
Challenge Your Skills:
- Bulk up this dish with fresh vegetables to add color (chopped kale), texture (diced carrots) and crunch (sliced baby cucumbers).
- Substitute the lemon juice and olive oil with soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil; and the mint with spring onion for a South East Asia style salad.
Copyright Chef Coaching Program, Institute of Lifestyle Medicine, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Harvard Medical School.